Intention and Commitment
We are fully committed to reducing our impact on the environment. Where possible we work hard to prevent or eliminate the environmental hazards and impacts that our team, activities, operations and products can create. It is our long term commitment to continuously improve our environmental performance.
- Putting into effect energy saving technologies that will be beneficial for the environment as well as our energy consumption levels.
- Reduce pollution, emissions and waste
- Considering daily activities and taking responsibility for minimising negative impacts on the environment. Daily routines such as travelling to work is one of the things taken into account and all employees are encouraged to find ways other than driving.
- Waste management is a key area, especially our paper. We aim to be paperless where possible we are very close to achieving a 100% paperless office. Any paper used is reused as scrap before being added to the onsite recycling collection bin.
- Purchasing office supplies that have been recycled or are recyclable and local, being mindful of the carbon footprint of the product.
- Saving building resources as much as possible in accordance to the latest eco guidelines is essential especially when considering things such as energy consumption from lighting to computer systems.
- We expect similar environmental standards from our suppliers
- Staff training and participation
We understand that the changes we make now will have an impact on future resources in regards to the environment. Global warming is such a fundamental issue and without any behavioural change made our environment will suffer and natural supplies will decline at an even quicker rate.
Our coffee is ethically sourced from origin. The price paid for our coffee is above the Fairtrade price and well above market price.
We also support the World Coffee Research organisation. Their mission is to "Grow, protect and enhance supplies of quality coffee while improving the livelihoods of the families who produce it"
The Coffee Roaster
Our coffee is roasted on a Loring Roaster. There are number of benefits to using a Loring Roaster but one stand out feature is its environmental credentials. As one of the most environmentally friendly roasters currently available, it offers 80% fuel savings and reduction in greenhouse gases in every roast, compared to conventional roasters. The fully computerised controller not only means roasting consistency but also minimal waste.
At the end of the roast, the coffee inside the roaster is air cooled. This unique feature ensures we are not extracting smoke into the environment.
Coffee Bags and Packaging
Our coffee bags are 100% recyclable, 4 – LDPE (Low-Density Polyethylene). We encourage you to find other uses for them. Handy hint: They make great grow bags for plants and herbs.
Our delivery cardboard boxes are recyclable.
We use paper packing tape instead of plastic.
How We're Powered
At Wingbury Courtyard our electricity is supplied by our own onsite solar panels. We have three large rotating boards with a total of 184 photovoltaic solar panels and further sells on our units roof. It is from these that our office obtains all of its electricity. We also have three ground-source heat pumps providing heat and hot water.
Onsite Recycling Collection
There is a Dry Mix Recycling skip on site.
In an average year 101 tonnes of paper, cardboard and plastic are collected and recycled from the estate.
We try, where possible, to bulk order all supplies to keep transportation to a minimum.
We use Royal Mail for smaller orders and DPD for larger deliveries. Royal Mail are consistently improving their efficiency and environmental impact and due to the volume of deliveries through their network their carbon impact is reduced. DPD have an extensive Carbon Neutral programme and were rated #1 in the voluntary carbon offset market in the CEP sector.
We are immensely proud to operate from a completely self-sufficient, green estate. We continue to do everything we can to minimise our footprint on the environment.